Saturday 16 February 2013

Mood Improved!

No offence Lombok. I tried cycling round you. I tried your famed beaches that all the posh hotels have sectioned off and concreted over. I even went for a nice dinner and a drink with a nice Japanese guy in you.

But without your Rinanji volcano climb you are just damn boring.

Lombok
 I got the feeling that I was associating Lombok with being frustrated and scammed. I spent one full day there and then decided that I was incapable of enjoying it. I had one roommate in the entire dorm - a beardy long-haired skater called Rintaro who worked for a chain of  hostels in Japan. He seemed to be staying there for the sole reason that it was dirt cheap (5 quid a night including breakfast) but admitted that there wasn't much to do there. We went for a beer, and it was then I decided that I needed to move forward.

I'd already been for two long bike rides the day before which I think lifted my spirits enough for me to be decisive. Annoyingly the internet cafe shut at about 9pm (because no one is out in Sengiggi after this time) so I instead booked my transfer back to the Eka Jaya fast ferry and to Bali.

Considering that Kuta had been annoyingly busy and touty the first time I was there, on my return it was like an old friend. Immediately my spirits felt higher, and I waved the touts away with smiles and "No thank you"s.

I booked myself into a swish homestay room. It was brand new and had a fan like a helicopter. My own bathroom, breakfast, and two beds to choose from for 10 quid a night. Oh, and no ants in the shower. It also handily had an internet cafe next door, so after dumping my backpack I sauntered in to book my flight to Thailand.

The guys running the shop were practising songs for their live accoustic set, and on hearing I was English played a not bad rendition of 'Don't look back in anger'.

I spent the evening being a total cheap-arse (dinner cost me about 1.20) and getting a good night's rest.

I arrived in Bangkok on Friday, relaxed and glad to be on the move.





No comments:

Post a Comment