Wednesday 20 February 2013

For the love of Bangkok

I've been so excited about coming to Thailand- and I haven't been disappointed. Even though Bangkok for the most part is a mental traffic clogged concrete mess of a city. Even though the food so far has been greasy tourist-tweaked phad thai. It's the little things that I'm enjoying.
I love the chugging tuk tuks, and the Thais carrying their entire shop/food stall/wordly posessions balanced on them, with various makeshift shelves added as and where needed. I love  that you can get syrupy iced drinks everywhere (in the past few days I've had enough iced teas to amount to a lethal dose of sugar). I love the lewd low-quality t-shirts on the stalls stuffing Khao San road. I love Chang beer. I love chicken noodle soup and the meaty fishy smell that wafts down the road from the stalls.
Yesterday I got the water taxi and got lost. I got drunk with some Scots. I was nearly run over by a tuk tuk and I accidentally threw my rubbish into a grumpy man's shop (he kept his stock in a large metal bin on the road). And I loved it!
I have been indulging myself by buying a plethora of crap. Casio watches in every colour. Paper thin dresses. Coconut ice-cream and fresh papaya.
Bangkok is by no means perfect- but so far I am loving it!


No comments:

Post a Comment