Tuesday 22 January 2013

Take it Easy

Yesterday I got the bus into Malaysia.

There's a big difference moving from Singapore to Malaysia, the former being a very rich country, and the latter blighted by economical and environmental problems.

The most easily noticeable problem on crossing the border are the vast plantations of palm oil which stretch as far as the eye can see for the good 100 miles of road. Malaysia is also a bit of a building site, with half-finished and seemingly abandoned construction going up pretty much everywhere.

I reserve my judgement on Malaysia, as I've only just got here.

Already I've decided to book an extra day in Kuala Lumpur  mostly because my sleeping patterns are so out of kilter hat I need to take it easy for a while.

Last night I went out for dinner with Lara, a German girl staying in the same room as me. When I explained about my sleeping being off (not being able to sleep at night and then long sleepy stints in the late morning and mid afternoon) she stated the obvious -  I am horribly jet lagged.

I keep forgetting that I only got here on Saturday, and I zoomed around Singapore in two days, trying to get a good look at everything. This was really stupid considering I have quite a lot of time for this trip, so all I have done is knacker myself out. Hence booking the extra day here, and if I need it I'll book another.

My new philosophy will be- stay as long as you need to stay. It's one more point on the traveller's learning curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment