Tuesday 22 January 2013

Raffles

What day is it? Wednesday? Lord I need to be taking note. And get a watch before my phone dies and I am without time or date.

On Monday I played the good tourist and went to the Raffles Hotel in Singapore to have the famous Singapore Gin Sling. Once I had finally slunk past the smart porters with my backpack and grubby shoes, I headed for the long bar to try the tradition of chucking peanut shells on the floor, and perhaps get slightly bladdered before heading back to the hostel.

This was not to be the case, as the cost of the cocktail ($30 SD) was more than the entirety of my eating and drinking so far. $30 is more than my accommodation costs per night. It is also just under what it costs to get into the night safari at Singapore zoo (if your budget calls for a toss up between the two- pick the night safari -  hands down), so you have to understand that this mark-up is atrocious.

Still, make the most of it. The cocktail just tasted pleasantly fruity and I enjoyed the dark wood paneled oldy wordly feel of the bar, with it's mechanical wafting hand fans on the ceiling, and the crunch of peanut shells underfoot on the mosaic-tiled floor.

I decided to account for my losses by eating as many of the complimentary peanuts as possible.




No comments:

Post a Comment