Thursday 7 March 2013

Lonely Laos

I'm having a bad day today. Me and Pete had a little fight this morning as I took offence at his mentioning I've made him late for work everyday this week by calling. In true girl style I have commenced a silent treatment Skype snub of indeterminable length.

I came over with a small group on the accursed slow boat of doom, but though civil, I didn't really gel with anyone in the group. I bump into people around town, but for the most part we exchange civilities and go our separate ways. My guesthouse is comfortable and the staff are friendly, yet I've yet to meet another guest.

I'm feeling very lonely, and also very bored. Luang Prabang is a nice town (especially it seems if you're a groan-inducing honeymooner) but it's incredibly boring. Yes the french architecture is charming, yes the markets are lovely, but believe it or not there is a limit to the amount of crepes and fruit smoothies I can ingest!

I've been fatigued since the boat, and it's messing with my eating and sleeping patterns. I'm finding the energy seeps out of me by midday and haven't had the drive to find somewhere more sociable to stay.

I'm also stuck waiting for my visa to Vietnam to be processed. This takes three days at the cheapest price, which means I'm sitting it out. I've been looking into trekking and kayaking trips but annoyingly the tours are for a minimum of two people and no-one else in this lazy town can be arsed; I am forced once again to feel disadvantaged by being alone. I wanted to hire a bike today, as being active usually takes my mind off of things- but oh! What's this? Apparently they need your friggin passport to do this AND MINE'S AT THE VIETNAMESE EMBASSY.

So yes, I'm frustrated once again. Ironically, Pete is working six day weeks so that he can afford to come and see me for a month (take that you smug honeymooning bastards!) But it means he is low on chat time when I'm at my loneliest. Oh, and I think dad has forgotten how to use Skype. Sigh.

So I must rely on my own sociability. I must resolve to be more sociable tonight! Onward, to the famous and hideous one pound all you can eat backpacker buffet!

UPDATE: the buffet was actually pretty good and I met a guy called Jeremy who's cycling around the world. You can read his blog at quinsadventure.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment